✦   ✦   ✦

St. John's "Post Oak"
Lutheran Church

Campbell Hill, Jackson County, Illinois

Evangelical Lutheran  ·  Organized 1864

Photographs

Five photographs spanning the life of the present building — from dedication day in 1905 through the mid-twentieth century — preserving the faces, furnishings, and occasions of the congregation at Post Oak.

Dedication day congregation gathered before St. John's, October 22, 1905
22 October 1905
Dedication Day — The Congregation Assembled

The congregation — and much of the surrounding community — gathers before the newly completed church on the day of its dedication. The history records that some three thousand people attended the service. The cornerstone had been laid just four months earlier, on 5 June 1905. To the left stands the original 1873 building that had served simultaneously as church and schoolhouse for thirty-one years; it would soon be removed. The new building is oriented north to south, its entrance facing the road, as it stands today.

Source unknown  ·  filename: postoakchurch1905.jpg
St. John's Post Oak, c. 1905–1910
c. 1905 – 1910
The New Building

A formal photographer showing the church shortly after its completion. The iron fence enclosing the cemetery grounds is visible at the base of the rise, and the bare trees suggest a late-autumn sitting. The Gothic lancet windows, quatrefoil oculus, and needle spire topped with a cross are all clearly rendered. This is almost certainly the earliest surviving solo exterior photograph of the present building.

Private collection  ·  filename: postoakcabinet.jpg
Early interior of St. John's Post Oak, c. 1905–1915
c. 1905 – 1915
The Interior Shortly After Dedication

An early view of the sanctuary, probably taken within a decade of the 1905 dedication. The original dark-stained pews and woodwork are in their first finish; hymn-board frames flank the nave; a gas or early electric chandelier hangs from the ceiling. The pulpit — prominently placed to the right of center in the Lutheran preaching tradition — bears an inscription no longer legible at this resolution. The altar retable features a standing Christ figure beneath a Gothic canopy, consistent with the furnishings installed at dedication.

Private collection  ·  filename: interior3.jpg

The Mid-Twentieth Century Sanctuary

View from chancel toward rear of church, showing pipe organ loft, c. 1950s
c. 1950s
Toward the Rear — Organ & Balcony

Looking from the chancel toward the entrance, the pipe organ occupies the loft above the balcony, whose Gothic-arched railing echoes the lancet windows of the exterior. Pendant globe lights illuminate the nave. A staircase to the balcony is visible at the right. The pews have been refinished lighter than in the earliest interior photograph.

Altar dressed with flowers for a special occasion, c. 1950s–1960s
c. 1950s – 1960s
The Altar — A Special Occasion

The chancel dressed abundantly with flowers — likely Easter or a wedding. The white-painted reredos with its Christ figure and branched candelabras replaced the original darker furnishings sometime in the mid-century. A "Reserved" sign on the front pew suggests an expected gathering of family or dignitaries.

Photos courtesy of the congregation  ·  filenames: interior1.jpg, interior2.jpg
←   Return to Main Page