In the years before 1890, a small company of Lutherans in Campbell Hill had no church of their own. Unwilling to go without worship, they met for occasional services in the Looney Springs Baptist Church, guests in a neighbor's house of God. The congregation they would build traces its beginnings not to a grand act of founding but to that quiet faithfulness.
On 8 December 1890, the group assembled at the home of Henry Gentsch in Campbell Hill. With the encouragement and assistance of Rev. Liebe, pastor of the Lutheran congregation at Wine Hill in nearby Randolph County, they formally organized their own church. Two months later, on 1 February 1891, they adopted and signed a constitution. In those early months the small congregation held its services twice monthly on Sunday afternoons, meeting in a modest building under Rev. Liebe's continuing care.
As their numbers grew through 1891 and into 1892, the members resolved to build a proper church. With the labor and contributions of their own people and the aid of sister congregations, they raised a frame building and were ready for dedication in May 1892. The service marked an occasion of considerable significance for the region: three services were held, two in German and one in English, conducted by Rev. J. Fischer of Lost Prairie, Rev. Theo. Saupert of Steeleville, and Rev. W. Moenkemueller of Cairo. The name chosen — St. Peter's — was no accident; it was anchored to the confession of the Apostle Peter recorded in Matthew 16:16, the rock upon which the congregation declared itself founded.
"May the grace and blessing of our God rest upon this small church building, which has been planted, even as a mustard seed. It shall bear the name of the Apostle, St. Peter, as it is founded on the confession he made. Matt. 16:16. May the Lord cause it to grow internally as well as externally."
— From the notes of the Dedication, May 1892For six and a half years the congregation continued under Rev. Liebe's shared ministry. In 1897, feeling at last able to support a pastor of their own, they issued a call. Rev. C. Holst answered and remained until February 1903. During his tenure the first parsonage was built. A succession of pastors followed: Rev. H. Spiering from 1903 to 1907; a brief interim under Rev. Giering; and then Rev. E. Hitzemann, who served a full decade from 1909 to 1919.
The frame building of 1892 gave way to the present brick structure in 1915, erected as the congregation had grown beyond its modest origins. A school building was added during the summer of 1931, reflecting the congregation's commitment to Lutheran education. During the summer of 1931, a new school building was constructed on the grounds.
The longest and most consequential pastorate in the congregation's history belongs to Rev. Harry C. Welp, who answered a call in 1921 and remained for 48 years, retiring in 1969. A 1970 newspaper account noted that he had served 46 years at St. Peter's and had also served as president of the Southern Illinois District of the Lutheran Church — Missouri Synod for approximately ten years. His influence on the congregation — and on individuals who went on to their own ministries — reached well beyond Campbell Hill. He died in 1992 at the age of 94.
St. Peter's is today a member congregation of the Lutheran Church — Missouri Synod, Southern Illinois District, located at 601 Church Street, Campbell Hill. Sunday worship is held at 9 a.m., with Sunday School from September through May.
Members who organized the congregation at its founding on 8 December 1890, drawn from the original church records.
| Pastor | Years | Tenure | Notes |
|---|---|---|---|
| Rev. Liebe | 1890 – 1897 | ~6½ years | Pastor at Wine Hill; served Campbell Hill as a shared ministry from the congregation's founding |
| Rev. C. Holst | 1897 – Feb. 1903 | ~6 years | First resident pastor; parsonage built during his tenure |
| Rev. H. Spiering | 1903 – 1907 | ~4 years | |
| Rev. Giering | c. 1907 – 1909 | A few months | Brief interim between Spiering and Hitzemann; first name not recorded |
| Rev. E. Hitzemann | 1909 – 1919 | 10 years | Present brick church erected 1915 during his tenure |
| Rev. E. Scharlemann | 1919 – 1921 | 2 years | |
| Rev. Harry C. Welp | 1921 – 1969 | 48 years | Longest-serving pastor; also served as president of the Southern Illinois District of the LCMS for ~10 years. Died 1992, age 94. |
| Rev. Harold Heinlein | 1970 – 1972 | 2 years | |
| Rev. Edward H. Meyer | 1973 – ? | Unknown | |
| · · · Pastors between Rev. Meyer and Rev. Kornacki not presently recorded · · · | |||
| Rev. Alan Kornacki | 2010 – 2024 | 14 years | |
| Rev. Norlyn Douglas Bartens | 2024 – | Present | Current pastor; LCMS Southern Illinois District, V-Circuit |