This photograph was taken about 1910 and shows Rev. Ernst Hitzemann and his family in front of the parsonage. Rev. Hitzemann served St. Peter's from 1909 until 1919, during which time the present brick church was erected in 1915.
Rev. E. Scharlemann then served two years (1919–1921), followed by Rev. Harry C. Welp, whose mother-in-law grew up in this house. The parsonage was replaced about 1950.
The first parsonage had been built during the tenure of Rev. C. Holst (1897–1903), the congregation's first resident pastor. This photograph likely shows the second or substantially rebuilt structure on the same site.
Christmas season was busy with practice for the Christmas program at church. Learning recitations and songs — Away in the Manger, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Silent Night Holy Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and many more. The last week before Christmas we would march from the school to the church and practice there; this was a very exciting time.
Christmas Eve we were hurried into our new-made dresses and hurried out to church. It was so exciting — marching into church singing O Come All Ye Faithful. Taking our seats and seeing the beautiful cedar Christmas trees all beautifully decorated. The church was always filled to overflowing. After we marched in, chairs would be placed in the aisles. We gave our recitations which told the Christmas story and sang many songs.
The service was over now and the "pokes" were handed out. Pokes were large brown paper bags filled with peanuts, walnuts, Brazil nuts, pecans, hazel nuts, an orange and a couple of apples. Also inside was a smaller brown bag filled with hard candy, chocolate covered peanut clusters and candy orange slices.
Doris Welp (front row, rightmost) was confirmed by her father, Rev. Harry C. Welp, who had served St. Peter's since 1921 — twenty years at the time of this photograph. He would continue as pastor for another twenty-eight years.
Rev. Harry C. Welp served St. Peter's from 1921 to 1969 — 48 years, the longest pastorate in the congregation's history. Born in Frohna, Missouri in 1897, he was ordained here in June 1921, reopened the closed Christian Day School that Labor Day, and remained through the lives of three generations of Campbell Hill families.
He also served as District President of the Southern Illinois District, LCMS from 1947 to 1957. He died in Effingham in 1992 at the age of 94.